Monday, October 31, 2011

Kim Kardashian Divorce: What Would You Do With $10 Million?

kim kardashianPhoto courtesy of Beacon Radio's Flickr on Creative Commons.

My twitter following twisted my arm to write about this, though I hesitated. Anyway, unless you are living under a rock, news of Kim Kardashian's divorce is sizzling all over the interwebz and it pisses me off.

Because I care about or know Kim personally? No.

It's because of the massive amount of money that was spent in this endeavor and because rumor has it that Kim actually profited from her marriage, even though she filed for divorce today, just 72 days after allegedly not much nuptial bliss.

This isn't really shocking news, actually. We're used to shallow entertainment making big bucks. And you have to hand it to Kim -- what an ace, pro business woman, bombshell, brand etc;

At the end of the day, to each his own. But look, British royalty is expected to spend a shit load on weddings, not American TV reality stars. Can you imagine what you could do with that cash?

You could fund non-profits. You could create endowment programs. You could create fucking jobs in America in the non-profit sector or whatever dirtbag Third World Country of your choice.

You could, and actually would, change the world.

The vanity and narcissism of this is appalling and justifies what some Europeans told me way back in 2001 when I was stuck in Spain after 9/11: "You Americans are just a bunch of uncultured yahoos who only eat hamburgers."

And what's worse? That the public takes it all in. If the Kardashians are famous, it's because we let them be. I'm guilty of that right now.

I actually think Kim is a smart girl but she needs to put her influence to good use. She needs to talk to Angelina Jolie. And who knows, maybe her husband turned out to be a real asshole.

I try to be compassionate when talking about people I don't know, but this is just so ridiculous. When you are a celebrity, you have a responsibility. Kim doesn't come across as a trouble maker and this is just a terrible example to all would-be brides of misplaced energy and resources.

Marriage is sacred and something to be taken seriously, I don't care if you are straight, gay, white, black, whatever. If you make a commitment, stick to it unless you find yourself in an abusive situation. Relationships require work and aren't perfect.

Don't tread lightly into that good night, so one poet said. I will add, don't tread lightly into that marital chamber.

People spend so much time focused on the wedding, they forget they have to work on a relationship. That's just messed up. A wedding is supposed to be a symbolic ceremony and gathering, not a sham party. Get over it!

This is one of the reasons why I'm not married, because if I ever do tie the knot, it will be one of the most serious decisions of my life.

And also, expect a humble wedding, even if I have cash to go shoe shopping in Dubai or fishing to any exotic saltwater destination in the world, I would be mortified and embarrassed to put together such an ostentatious shindig. Over the top weddings like this only flaunt vanity and have nothing to do with real love.

Am I saying people shouldn't have nice weddings? No. But just keep it real.

Am I saying I hate rich people? No. But I hate egregious waste when there are others suffering. Go ahead, have your nice wedding but give back as well.

I hope Kim finds a deeper path to pursue in her life. Being able to amass such money and following is one thing, now turn it around for good. In theory, she has potential.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Kim Kardashian's wedding to Kris Humphries cost a reported $10 million. What would you do with that amount of money to improve the world? Please leave a comment here or on my networks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post! You are RIGHT. "Marriage is sacred and something to be taken seriously." We really MUST stop looking to Hollywood for relationship advice!