Sunday, June 12, 2016

Romance Row: A Sweet Farewell to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

sunrise-windjammer-hotel-lauderdale-by-the-sea

This year in springtime, I enjoyed a two-week writer’s sojourn in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, a quaint, seaside village located on Florida’s southeast coast. The sea shored up her bounty of gifts for me. In turn, I gift you my stories. Visit the story map to navigate this travel memoir.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Sensual Sunrise


I woke up, as usual, before dawn on our last day at the Windjammer in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. I opened the sliding glass door, took one big, deep breathe and said “thank you.“ Mother ocean gave me a parting gift of a magnificent sunrise with vibrant orange and yellow hues. Too her, it’s old hat. But for me, it was special. After all, it could have been raining and overcast. Well, even if it had been, it still would’ve been OK.

I heard a voice from inside the room. “The sun also rises,” he said. “Yes, of course it does,” I replied. “It always does, my love.”

He wrapped a towel around himself and embraced me as we looked out at the sea. We just held each other quietly, rekindling our little flame.

I didn’t already miss my goddess cave by the sea too much. I knew, in my heart, that the first time here wouldn’t be my last.

I Wanna Love Ya


sunrise-windjammer-hotel-lauderdale-by-the-sea

As we packed our stuff into the car, I vowed to myself that I’d travel a little lighter in my heart. After all, I had been cradled by the winds and the ocean for a few days on this majestic tall ship, the Windjammer -- so aptly named. From now on, I’d sail the high seas of life and love with ease and grace, completely refreshed and ready to weather any storms.

We headed over to Anglin’s Beach Café that morning for breakfast. This seaside, open-air rustic restaurant was already buzzing with hungry locals and tourists. When our eggs benedict arrived and I sliced through that delicious, perfectly poached egg yolk, a live band covered Bob Marley’s I Wanna Love Ya. How perfectly appropriate.

I want to love you, and treat you right,
I want to love you, every day and every night,
We'll be together, with a roof right over our heads,
We'll share the shelter, of my single bed,
We'll share the same room, yeah! For Jah provide the bread.
Is this love, is this love, is this love,
Is this love that I'm feelin. . . .

After breakfast, we walked to the end of pier and bid this magical place farewell.

Two Kids at a Candy Store


sloans-ice-cream-lauderdale-by-the-sea

“Wait! Wait!” I said. “Let’s stop in here!”

I dragged the beau into Sloan’s Ice Cream by the hand. This little shop dazzled me with it’s pink ceiling, where a modern Michelangelo had painted cherubs holding wooden spoons. Sparkly, rainbow-colored chandeliers lit the way into this palace of cute overload.

I looked at him. “Oh come on,” I pleaded. “Screw this no sugar diet thing!”

We shared a big cup of our favorites: vanilla, pistachio and strawberry, bursting with flavor and ever-so-creamy.

A gentle embrace at sunrise, a delicious breakfast with Bob Marley, a walk over the sea on a pier painted in shades of blue and a sweet treat with my sweetheart: as we drove back to Miami west on Commercial Boulevard, I reached over and held his hand. “It doesn’t get more romantic than this,” I thought. “It just doesn’t.”

Next story: Story Map
Previous Story: Windjammer Resort and Beach Club, Day 4

Disclosure: this travel experience was supported by The Lodging Association of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. All opinions my own.


#lovefl #lovelbts

No comments: